The Adventure

The Adventure: For ten weeks from June until the end of August, I will be working with Village Life Outreach Project in the surrounding villages of Shirati, Tanzania. VLOP works on health, education, and life enhancing initiatives for the people of the Rorya district of northern Tanzania. To check out all the great projects VLOP has, go to http://www.villagelifeoutreach.org

From the end of September until the end of the year, I will be completing my final (Capstone) project for the Clinton School in Lima, Peru. I am working with Minga Peru, an NGO that works with women, children, and entire communities in the Peruvian Amazon to increase awareness of health issues, reduce violence, train women in leadership and health information, and build communities through the empowerment of women, income-generation projects, and establishing of municipal partnerships. For more information about Minga, go http://www.mingaperu.org

Monday, June 20, 2011

Emotions of Leaving

So over the past six weeks, I have finished my first year of grad school, moved out of my carriage house downtown (which took a majority of those six weeks), watched two of my boys marry the women of their dreams, said goodbye over and over and over again to my loved ones, and embarked on the journey of a lifetime.  It's an interesting feeling packing up the life that you know into a storage unit, kissing your loved ones goodbye, and giving up all the luxuries that we are afforded in the United States.  However, there is so much excitement boiling inside of me for the new luxuries that I will experience: peace of mind, slower paced life, more time to just sit and talk, living with and learning from people so different from me, and the opportunity to assist people in changing their community! I am sitting in the London airport right now, exhausted, but so high on life that I can't stand it.  Flight takes off for Nairobi in thirty three minutes, so I better go, but cheerio and kwa heri for now.

Also, a final shout out to Chad and Hart Berry who threw an AMAZING wedding this weekend.  Congrats, y'all!

Spencer

2 comments:

  1. Spencer... safe travels... enjoy every minute... be smart and safe... and don't eat anything that is still moving or pretending to be dead! Love, Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love and miss you already!!!! Be safe and enjoy this wonderful adventure. We saw "Super 8" last night (great movie) with our group of friends and everyone sends their love. Had dinner with Romney, Tommy, Kim, Uncle Steve, Nancy and the kids. Great time...they too send their love. Heading to the lake tomorrow (Thursday, June 23, 2011). MEMC!!!!

    Meme

    ReplyDelete