The Adventure

The Adventure: For ten weeks from June until the end of August, I will be working with Village Life Outreach Project in the surrounding villages of Shirati, Tanzania. VLOP works on health, education, and life enhancing initiatives for the people of the Rorya district of northern Tanzania. To check out all the great projects VLOP has, go to http://www.villagelifeoutreach.org

From the end of September until the end of the year, I will be completing my final (Capstone) project for the Clinton School in Lima, Peru. I am working with Minga Peru, an NGO that works with women, children, and entire communities in the Peruvian Amazon to increase awareness of health issues, reduce violence, train women in leadership and health information, and build communities through the empowerment of women, income-generation projects, and establishing of municipal partnerships. For more information about Minga, go http://www.mingaperu.org

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Let's try this thing out!

Happy first day of June, everyone!  Nineteen days from today, I will be leaving the great state of Arkansas for the next great journey in my life.  Until then, I will be unpacking from moving out of my house, meeting with professors and VLOP folk, packing, enjoying some final quality time with family and friends, packing, collecting all the books and movies I'll be taking for entertainment, packing, two weddings, and finishing packing, and finally kiss my parents and loved ones.

In between all of these activities, I continue to get more and more excited for this great adventure that is coming.  I cannot wait to meet the people of Shirati and Roche, better my Swahili (won't take much), exchange stories, experiences, and thoughts with my temporary neighbors, and make EVERY MOMENT COUNT!

I invite you to follow my adventures as I travel to Shirati, Tanzania, to meet, learn, grow, and most importantly SERVE.  This adventure is not only for me but for anyone who has dreamt of going to Tanzania (or East Africa), learning a new language, or experiencing the true diversity we have on Earth.  Let's experience this TOGETHER!

SFL

P.S. Happy Birthday to one of my best buds, Peter.  Welcome to 23!

1 comment: