The Adventure

The Adventure: For ten weeks from June until the end of August, I will be working with Village Life Outreach Project in the surrounding villages of Shirati, Tanzania. VLOP works on health, education, and life enhancing initiatives for the people of the Rorya district of northern Tanzania. To check out all the great projects VLOP has, go to http://www.villagelifeoutreach.org

From the end of September until the end of the year, I will be completing my final (Capstone) project for the Clinton School in Lima, Peru. I am working with Minga Peru, an NGO that works with women, children, and entire communities in the Peruvian Amazon to increase awareness of health issues, reduce violence, train women in leadership and health information, and build communities through the empowerment of women, income-generation projects, and establishing of municipal partnerships. For more information about Minga, go http://www.mingaperu.org

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A little touch of America: Movie Night I


Due to Nando’s plea for something American, I brought 9 movies from home.  Everyone was excited to here this so we put together our first Movie Night!  Wednesday night, after dinner, we assembled with beers and cokes, popcorn (thanks to Esther), and my movies, all by candlelight.  I gave them all of their options and to my surprise James was able to rally everyone behind The Big Chill.  Now, this is one of my favorite movies, and I love to watch it when I’m away from home because it reminds me of all my great, close friends I have in the US, Arkansas, Little Rock, but it wouldn’t necessarily be my pick for first American movie in a few weeks of being in Africa.  However, all but the two of us have seen it, so I go with the group….it’s a total flop.  Although no one will admit that they didn’t like it, you can tell people are very disappointed.  Even James is like, “not as funny and uplifting as I remember the movie being.”  Luckily, the soundtrack is great, so people enjoyed that. 
I was not willing to let movie night be a total bust, so I turned it into a double feature with…yes, one of my favorite Disney movies: Finding Nemo!  Anta has never seen it, so the five of us who are left, salvage movie night and greatly enjoy Finding Nemo, Fanta, Sparletta (banana soda), and popcorn, all by candlelight.  Success!  Next movie night will include probably V for Vendetta and hopefully, the culmination of our African experience: The Lion King!

No comments:

Post a Comment