The Adventure

The Adventure: For ten weeks from June until the end of August, I will be working with Village Life Outreach Project in the surrounding villages of Shirati, Tanzania. VLOP works on health, education, and life enhancing initiatives for the people of the Rorya district of northern Tanzania. To check out all the great projects VLOP has, go to http://www.villagelifeoutreach.org

From the end of September until the end of the year, I will be completing my final (Capstone) project for the Clinton School in Lima, Peru. I am working with Minga Peru, an NGO that works with women, children, and entire communities in the Peruvian Amazon to increase awareness of health issues, reduce violence, train women in leadership and health information, and build communities through the empowerment of women, income-generation projects, and establishing of municipal partnerships. For more information about Minga, go http://www.mingaperu.org

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cheater, cheater, hamburger eater!

I know, I know, I'm only two weeks in, but it was all James and Fernando.  They're the ones who wanted to eat at a Western restaurant.  We arrived in Nairobi around 6pm, after an easy hour to the border, then only 6 1/2 hours on a bus (we got on the right one this time).  We're staying at the Methodist Guest House (my grandmother should be very proud) and close to it is a mall with this place called Java House.  I've never been, but my compadres are determined to get a REAL, AMERICAN burger, so I "sadly" tag along.  I can't lie; the burger was great.  And so was the milkshake...oops, double whammy.  I figure I'm about to be in South Africa for 5 days, so I'll be eating really good, Western food/portions there too, so I'll start cheating now.  Oh, and I almost forgot, we went to Planet Yogurt after that for some (as my friends disgustingly call it) fro-yo.  That was awesome, too.  In case you were wondering, mango, passion fruit, peach, raspberries, and pistachio DO go well together.  (This is my fatass post for Week 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment