The Adventure

The Adventure: For ten weeks from June until the end of August, I will be working with Village Life Outreach Project in the surrounding villages of Shirati, Tanzania. VLOP works on health, education, and life enhancing initiatives for the people of the Rorya district of northern Tanzania. To check out all the great projects VLOP has, go to http://www.villagelifeoutreach.org

From the end of September until the end of the year, I will be completing my final (Capstone) project for the Clinton School in Lima, Peru. I am working with Minga Peru, an NGO that works with women, children, and entire communities in the Peruvian Amazon to increase awareness of health issues, reduce violence, train women in leadership and health information, and build communities through the empowerment of women, income-generation projects, and establishing of municipal partnerships. For more information about Minga, go http://www.mingaperu.org

Friday, July 29, 2011

Giving blood in Africa

What began as a totally normal day of not getting the requested data from schools and hut-to-hut surveys quickly turned into the craziest day I’ve yet to have in Africa.  We arrived back from Roche later than usual and as I’m resting a little, I hear crazy commotion coming from the secondary school.  This is where the Chapakazi soccer team practices, so, wondering if they’re playing a game, I call Wiklife who informs me that his school is in a match with a rival secondary school.  Well, I like little more than school sports so I arrange to meet him at the game to watch and enjoy some friendly competition.  On my way to meet him, I run into Dr. Esther who flags me down and asks me what blood type I am.  I tell her that I’m pretty sure I’m B+, and she quickly shows excitement for my answer.  They need to give a blood transfusion to the boy with BL before they can begin chemotherapy.  Loyce (pronounced Lois), one of the nurses whom Ante and I love…she’s hilarious…is compatible, but they need one more person.  After confirming my blood type with my mom I tell her I’m in.  Now, one may say, “Spencer, are you crazy? Giving blood in Africa?!” Well, Dr. Esther, Ante, and Elizabeth (all medical professionals) assured me that it is perfectly safe and that I will see them remove the sterile needle and bag from the plastic packaging.  In between committing to donating blood and the actual blood donation, I run over to the soccer fields to see the game…it is crazy!  There are hundreds of people (students, parents, general fans) standing on the sidelines.  And every time either time gets even close to scoring the girls go crazy and run on to the field, only to quickly retract and run back off, scurrying out of the way so as not to interfere with the players coming at them.  Then I witness a goal by Wiklife’s school, Kuturu, and you would’ve thought Elvis had entered the field, as every female student ran onto the field screaming and jumping celebrating the goal. 

At 6:30pm, I left the game to head to the hospital.  Josiah and Ante are joining Loyce and me for moral support and the experience.  We arrive at the hospital to find a single lab tech in the lab.  His name is Tobias, and you would’ve thought that he hadn’t seen a human being in years.  He was overly excited to see us and incredibly welcoming.  We explained that we needed to take a pint of blood from Loyce and me so that we could give BL boy a transfusion.  He quickly informed us that they have a lot of blood in their fridge, to which Loyce snapped back, “Well, why don’t you just give it to us?!” (This was to be her first time giving blood and I don’t think she was totally stoked about it).  He explained that since he was not a patient of the hospital that he couldn’t provide it for free; however, if we gave two units he would switch out two units; this will work.  So we begin the process; and what a process it was.  Tobias is obviously very good at his job and greatly enjoys it.  He talked us through EVERY. SINGLE. STEP. of his job.  He explained how he was going to prick my finger and remove my blood to test blood type and for HIV (no worries, I’m proudly negative).  He explained to me how he could tell which type my blood was and the purpose of the control (thank you, sixth grade science).  Finally we make it to the phlebotomy room and he sets me up for the donation.  Now everything had been very similar to giving blood in the US minus a few technological luxuries mostly for comfort that we use in the US; that is until the needle.  As usual, he was licking his chops at my nicely large, easily findable veins, when I looked up as he was about to put the needle in, and I immediately gasped: it was HUGE! Huge and metal.  I guess I’m spoiled with the mini butterfly needles or whatever they’re called.  I made it through the insertion, and one great thing about a huge needle is it pumps a lot of blood very quickly.  I loaded up a pint bag in about 3 minutes!  (My fraternity brothers and I used to race to see who could fill up a bag the fastest, and I’m pretty sure the fastest was about 5-6 minutes).  Once the bag was full, needle out, and pressure applied, I rested for a few minutes. 



Then I had the great idea to take a “picture with my pint,” and so got up and went to ask Tobias if I could (here I have found that they’re much less strict about privacy and certain standards that would never fly in the US).  This was a mistake.  I don’t know if I was still recovering from the blood loss, hadn’t had enough water, or simply got up too fast, but within about a minute of being in the main room, I started sweating badly and felt a little woozy.  So, as I have done before for my parents, I announced to everyone that I was about to faint.  Josiah and Ante ran to catch me as my knees collapsed, and poor Ante quickly realized that I was much heavier than I look and handed me off to Tobias.  What did Ante do next? Ran to grab my camera; most would be mad at this…I was happy that I have some great documentation of the ordeal.  I never passed out or lost vision or hearing, but I quickly found myself seated in a chair, Tobias and some random nurse (where she came from I have no clue) holding my legs up above my head and Tobias fanning me with a blue medical folder.  Typical.  I remain more or less in this position for the next 10 minutes on Tobias’ orders (as he laughs the entire time).  Yes, I spent ten minutes lounged in a chair, feet propped up, and a nurse (I soon found out her name was Leonida) fanning me to keep me cool; the only thing missing was a palm leaf, which of course I asked for…she didn’t get the joke. 

Impressive response and recovery care from almost passing out (insert palm leaf)

Meanwhile, Loyce had given her pint and was already walking around worrying about me.  I felt pitiful.  Even with Tobias demanding that she sit and rest, she refused, saying that women can handle blood loss a lot better than men; after all, they’re used to it from childbirth.  So we end the night Loyce and I a pint of blood down, BL boy a pint up and looking much livelier.  All in a day’s work.
As the needle goes in...I swear, it was HUGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment