The Adventure

The Adventure: For ten weeks from June until the end of August, I will be working with Village Life Outreach Project in the surrounding villages of Shirati, Tanzania. VLOP works on health, education, and life enhancing initiatives for the people of the Rorya district of northern Tanzania. To check out all the great projects VLOP has, go to http://www.villagelifeoutreach.org

From the end of September until the end of the year, I will be completing my final (Capstone) project for the Clinton School in Lima, Peru. I am working with Minga Peru, an NGO that works with women, children, and entire communities in the Peruvian Amazon to increase awareness of health issues, reduce violence, train women in leadership and health information, and build communities through the empowerment of women, income-generation projects, and establishing of municipal partnerships. For more information about Minga, go http://www.mingaperu.org

Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Dream Comes True: Welcome to South Africa

I’ll start this post with 7-year old Spencer Frederick.  A friend of my parents went on vacation to South Africa and brought him back a t-shirt with a beautiful flag of red, green, blue, yellow, black, and white, and underneath it said, “South Africa.”  Now, this was 1994: Nelson Mandela was elected president of the Republic of South Africa in the first truly democratic elections in the country’s history.  And little Spencer was fascinated!  Instantly hooked.  From that moment on, his dream was to one day go to South Africa. 

Now, with the amount of traveling in college that I was very fortunate to be able to do, one would think that South Africa would be my first destination, no questions asked.  Interestingly enough, SA always came up but lost to a much desired European destination.  My time, though, has finally come!

We landed in Johannesburg (Jo-burg to the locals) at exactly 19:12 SA time, and I could feel it in the air.  I had made it.  Even from the moment we were on board South African Airways, I knew this was going to be great.  I honestly do not have words to describe the insane scale of the Jo-burg airport.  Completed in 2009 in time for the 2010 World Cup, the place might as well be its own town.  With multiple food courts (outside security, just for visitors), we were in heaven for our second dinner in 4 hours.  South Africa has some great chain restaurants, like Spur, the “American” restaurant whose symbol is a Native American chief, or Wimpy, the SA version of McDonald’s I’m guessing, Anat, with Mediterranean fare, and best of all, Nando’s, upscale chicken dishes, obviously named after my SA travel buddy.  Then there are the insane amount of shops outside security, inside security…it’s basically Fifth Avenue crammed into an airport.  We almost missed our flight we had so much trouble deciding on dinner, only to board our flight to Cape Town and be served meal #3 in six hours.  I know y’all in no way doubt how much I enjoyed this constant activity of eating. 

Midnight- We arrive in Cape Town and although I can’t see much of anything, I can feel the beauty of the city and I have a feeling we’re going to enjoy our week.

No comments:

Post a Comment