The Adventure

The Adventure: For ten weeks from June until the end of August, I will be working with Village Life Outreach Project in the surrounding villages of Shirati, Tanzania. VLOP works on health, education, and life enhancing initiatives for the people of the Rorya district of northern Tanzania. To check out all the great projects VLOP has, go to http://www.villagelifeoutreach.org

From the end of September until the end of the year, I will be completing my final (Capstone) project for the Clinton School in Lima, Peru. I am working with Minga Peru, an NGO that works with women, children, and entire communities in the Peruvian Amazon to increase awareness of health issues, reduce violence, train women in leadership and health information, and build communities through the empowerment of women, income-generation projects, and establishing of municipal partnerships. For more information about Minga, go http://www.mingaperu.org

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Movie night with the mzungus

The past two nights, Fernando and I have watched movies with our buddies, Emmanuel and Wiklife (the coaches of the soccer team).  We’ve been setting this movie night up ever since I got here, but something always falls through.  So we finally pick Monday night, only for the power to be out.  We push through anyway.  Wiklife is big into war movies, but the closest things I have to all-out war movies are Last King of Scotland and A Few Good Men.  The latter I think is a little too much talking, and although the former is a little intense and not a lot of fighting, it’s about Idi Amin and Uganda, something close and relative, that they know a lot about.  I’m not sure whether they enjoyed it as a whole, but I could tell that they liked some parts and were following everything easily. 

The next day, by the grace of God, Elizabeth found The Lion King in Esther’s bookshelf!  As cliché as it is, we have been wanting to watch it ever since we got here.  And so, movie night #2.  We invite Wiklife and Emmanuel again, and this time Emmanuel’s brother, Joseph, joined.  It was glorious, and although I wasn’t allowed to sing along, I enjoyed every moment of it.  I’m not really sure what they thought about it since Joseph fell asleep and the other two were silent the whole time (probably thought, “Why are we watching a cartoon of animals from the Serengeti talking?”).  Oh well, I think it’s interesting for them to see what many Americans envision when they think “Africa.”

No comments:

Post a Comment